Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The stress of preschools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I have been stressing the last few months about what I would do with Schaefer next fall for preschool. He will turn 3 on September the 3rd and so misses the Baltimore County birthdate cut-off of September 1st by 2 days. I just want to get the kid into some kind of organized setting socializing with other kids before he turns 4. So, my thought has been that I would like to keep him at Immaculate where my others have been and we love the teacher etc. Not such a simple thought. The principle has been adament about the cut-off date and not making any exceptions. NONE. So, I decided to try one last time to actually speak with the principle personally to try and explain to her what I want to do. She finally called back last night and I was able to tell her that I want to get him socialized in the fall, but I want to do 3's, 4's, then pre-k and then kindergarten so he will not be starting kindergarten before he is supposed to. I would rather him be the oldest in his class than the youngest when he gets to big school, I don't want him to struggle because he is the youngest. Well, the principle finally heard what I was saying because she agreed that as long as he does 3 years in the preschool she is okay with him starting the 3's in the fall. YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! All 3 kids in school at the same school.... I am going up to school this morning to get him registered and I am so happy that she finally heard what I was trying to say... Now, just so you know how crazy I am. I found a terrific preschool that was also willing to put him in the 3's and it is 3 days instead of 2 and they have the option for "my afternoon out" where the kids can stay on any of those days until 3pm if you so choose. I would have at least the option for some real time to myself. So why not go there? I am not sure what I am thinking but I love the teachers at Immaculate and they have had the other 2 kids and it is convenient having them all at the same place starting at the same time and I really love that they come home at three saying the prayers that our family says and that they will have to know at the big school. Call me crazy, but I think I am going to stay at ICS and have some quality time next fall with little Schaefer as he will only go 2 short mornings a week!!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I totally hear you! Becca's birthday is in December, so she would be like 3 and 3/4 by the time she could start preschool for the 3s. That is full time parenting for another year and a half? I can't TAKE THAT!

I just found a preschool up here that has a Dec 31 cutoff for 3s, so she may be going this fall too! I'm so excited!

I think you'll be really glad all three are at the same school. You can always get a babysitter for that EXTRA Me time you'll need!